Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Tasting Angel Food White Blend

White Blend
Name: Cupcake Vineyards Angel Food
Variety: White Blend
Region: California
Country: United States
Year: 2013
Price: $8.99

Wine Review: (From 'The Grocery Store Wino') Ok, so this is the third bottle of Cupcake getting reviewed but I have a good excuse for my lack of variety: my mom picked this bottle up and who am I to turn down free wine? I was actually a little hesitant about this one because of the name – I just assumed it was going to be super sweet. (Which is, in fact, why my mom had picked it out.)

We were both surprised, and once my mom got over the shock of it NOT being sweet, she decided she liked it as much as I did. It was a little bit oaky and had some hints of vanilla and a little bit of a warm spice, like cinnamon or nutmeg. The aroma reminded me of walking into a bakery (or a cupcake shop, apropos as that would be.) Even though I could detect the oak, it didn’t have the heavy mouthfeel that Chardonnays sometime have – it was just a well balanced, light wine with a nice, creamy feel to it. It’s a white blend with a Chardonnay base, which is where some of those toasty notes come from (and why, despite the name, it is decidedly not a “dessert wine.”)

I think it would be a pretty good “universal white.” My mom tends to like whites that are semi-sweet wines and I tend to prefer more dry whites, and we were both pretty enamored with this wine. It’d be a wine I’d bring to a party, serve at book club or give as a hostess gift. Or, the perfect wine to kick off your beach vacation. Just sayin’.

My review: I had high hopes for this wine.  I know I prefer a sweeter wine, so I figured something called ‘cupcake’ had to be what I was looking for.  I ended up not enjoying it very much; I would rate it between a 2 and 3 on my scale.  More likely I would recommend it to someone else who may enjoy it, but I also would probably still be all right with drinking it at a party.  My main problems with this wine were the aftertaste and the way it coated the inside of my mouth after swallowing.  The taste was not quite as sweet as I would have liked.  Vanilla flavors came through towards the end, but I did not get any of the advertised granny smith apple flavor. 
 
Food: I did not drink this wine with food.

No comments:

Post a Comment